Every girl dreams about sexy soft lips. Lips that simply ask to be kissed. However, not every girl can have them, without some extra effort. But sometimes Mother Nature isn’t as keen on handing us moisturized kissing machines on a silver platter. There are many reasons that can make your lips look dull and dark. Due to hectic lifestyles, we often forget to take care of our lips, which is the most delicate and sensitive skin of our face. If harsh weather or bad habits are taking a toll on your lips, try implementing some of the suggestions below to improve the overall look and feel of your lips.
- Tooth Brush. Take a soft bristle toothbrush and rub gently on the lips for 1 minute. This improves blood circulation on your lips and clears the dry, flaky dead skin cells and reveals smooth and pink lips naturally.
- Hydrate yourself. The general rule for being healthy, and looking good, is to be well hydrated. Your lips also crave for hydration – so, drink a lot of water. If you’re not providing your body with enough water, your lips can, as well as your skin, get dry and chapped. It’s not a pretty sight, and plus – it hurts! Luckily, it can all be prevented simply by taking more water. Increase the amount of water you drink by just one glass, and you’ll see the results very soon.
- Apply petroleum jelly at night. You can use Vaseline when your lips need intense moisturizing and are especially chapped. Apply as often as you like, though it’s generally good to use petroleum jelly at night while sleeping and apply a thinner product in the daytime.
- Avoid lip balms with fragrances, flavours, or dyes. These can be drying or potentially trigger irritation in some sensitive users. Choose lip balms with all-natural ingredients (no chemicals) that are free from unwanted additives.
- Use products that contain at least SPF 15 to avoid damage caused by the sun. Your lips are very susceptible to sunburn and sun damage. Be sure to wear lip protection when going outdoors.
- No licking. A lot of women think that the solution for dry lips is to lick them. However, this is completely wrong. Even though it could give you an instant feeling that your lips are softer, in a matter of seconds they will be even drier than they were, before you licked them. You’ll want to lick again and you’ll make your lips drier and drier. Apply a lip balm – don’t lick your lips.
- Ice Massage. Take some ice cubes and wrap in a muslin cloth and gently massage to your lips in a circular motion. This revitalizes your lips, keeps it fresh and maintains water balance.
- Pomegranate Juice. Make juice of the pomegranate seeds. Dip a cotton ball into this juice and rub on your lips. Pomegranate has natural bleaching properties that lighten and redden your dark lips dramatically.
- Make a honey, sugar, and olive oil scrub. Combine a tablespoon of honey with two teaspoons sugar and one teaspoon olive oil. Rub the mixture on your lips and allow it to sit for several minutes.
- Eat a diet heavy in fruits and vegetables. Foods that contain vitamins B and C are especially good for your skin. Consider taking a supplement if your diet lacks these vitamins. Omega-3 fatty acids are also extremely good for your skin and can be found in foods like fish, avocado, and almonds. You can also take a daily Omega-3 supplement.