Make the Perfect Puff
The puff gives your face so much more character. It also gives the illusion of height. It is highly versatile, and can be styled at the top, or on the side. You can make it big or small. Irrespective of your age, this hairstyle will surely look good on you. Whether you have long hair or short, it doesn’t matter. The best part is – it can be combined with a braid or a bun, or you can just pin the puff and let your hair loose, and you will have heads turning as you strut past. If you are going for a casual dinner, nothing like a comfortable pouf, and if it is a wedding that you need to attend, the toque is bound to pump up your elegance quotient. When those bangs have grown out and seem extremely out of place, this hairstyle is perfect to keep them intact. It gives you something to do with them when they’re in that awkward stage where they’re too long to wear as bangs, but not long enough to do much else with them. Here is a do-it –yourself list of how to create a puff at the comfort of your home environment:
- Start with “dirty hair.” Hair styles are easier to achieve with “dirty” hair. Dirty hair simply means hair that has been styled previously or has not been washed for a couple of days. The reason for this is that clean hair is harder to manipulate: it can have static and slip away more easily.
- Comb your hair, and make sure it is detangled.
- Take a small section of the hair at the front, and pull it back. Trace along the “crown,” where a crown or tiara would rest, and gather all of the hair in that area.
- Make sure that you have equal portions from both sides.
- Divide the section into two, with the back section containing one third of the hair.
- Tie off the front section with a rubber band and push it forward or bend it to the side so that it is out of the way.
- Tease the back section. Holding it straight up with one hand, tease the hair in the back section with a brisk up and down motion. Teasing creates volume, which you will need to get your puff to the perfect height. CAUTION: When brushing out tease, be gentle and slow, as to not damage your hair.
- Roll the section. Around 2-3 times is ideal, but rolling it more than 3 times could make it tighter than necessary. The rolling helps keep the puff intact, and also gives a better shape.
- Using the roll as a grip, push the hair in the front such that it puffs up.
- Secure your poof with bobby pins. Carefully place enough bobby pins in your hair to keep it place. After you’re satisfied with how it looks, add a spritz of hairspray for a bit more hold. Finally, run a sheet of tissue paper over the top to smooth any fly-aways.
Now that you know how to do the puff, go ahead and get crazy with the different hairstyles you can try. You could try this one. It looks complicated, but in fact it is not hard at all.