A jumpsuit or romper is a garment that incorporates both the top and bottom in one piece. While it was probably Elvis who popularized the jumpsuit, many women today love to wear this comfortable fashion piece. There are different variations of jumpsuits, from pants jumpsuits to halter rompers, and with so many types and designs available today, almost any woman find a jumpsuit that will make her look smart and sophisticated. However, not every woman can wear just any jumpsuit and look stylish. Thus, you need to consider a few things when purchasing a jumpsuit, to ensure the piece you buy is flattering to your body, and looks fashionable and appropriate for whatever occasion.
- Find the perfect fit. Don’t wear anything too tight or too loose. If you wear a jumpsuit that’s too tight, you might give off that cat-women vibe, and you might feel uncomfortable. If you wear a jumpsuit that is too loose, you will completely lose your figure, and the jumpsuit will overwhelm your body. An ill-fitting jumpsuit can highlight unsightly bulges and imperfections, and may cause some embarrassing situations (especially in too-tight nether regions). When in doubt, a good rule when fitting jumpsuits is to ensure the fabric remains loose and draped while cinching the waist. For those who want to highlight their derriere, a jumpsuit that’s a little clingy around the buttocks area would be suitable.
- Purchase the right length. Jumpsuits and rompers come in varying lengths and sizes. Taller women can get away with sweeping, floor-length pieces, while more petite women should stick to rompers that go above the knee. Aside from bottom length, rompers can also come in different sleeve lengths. Women who have shapely arms should go bare, with halter top, sleeveless, or even tube top jumpsuits. Long-sleeved jumpsuits look elegant and classy, and can also hide some less-than-perfect features.
- Define your waist. A lot of jumpsuits have either a cloth belt or you can easily add your belt to define your waist. Cinching your jumpsuit at the waist is a great way to add some femininity to the look and give you that curvy look.
- Buy a solid colour Romper or Jumpsuit. When in doubt, a solid colour romper or jumpsuit looks great on any woman. The continuous silhouette created by the single colour lengthens the body, and creates a flattering profile. Small prints, a few splashes of colour, or colour-blocked jumpsuits can also be acceptable if done in moderation.
- Wear heels with wide-leg jumpsuits. If you wear a wide leg jumpsuit with sandals or flats, the bottom half would look pretty sloppy. It would look like you are wearing a jumpsuit that doesn’t fit, and thus would look shorter. Wide leg jumpsuits can overpower a small frame so make sure you’re pairing it with skinny heels.
- Don’t choose clingy materials. Never buy jumpsuits made of clingy materials like polyester, spandex, or pleather. A jumpsuit should be loosely draped around the body. Fabrics like cotton and soft knitted jersey are some of the best types of materials for jumpsuits. These materials cling to the right parts of the body, while falling around the body to create a flattering silhouette.
- Don’t overdo the accessories. Most fashion experts agree that women should buy their outfits together with their accessories, to ensure they match perfectly. However, the jumpsuit itself can be an overwhelming piece, and may need minimal accessories. A pair of matching shoes and simple earrings can help carry the ensemble, but don’t overdo it with chunky necklaces or thigh-high boots.
Be a lady and pull off your jumpsuit with grace and sensibility.